Thursday 11 September 2008

Thinking About Grammar - Tenses

Here are the notes from this month's grammar overview. I think you realise now that studying grammar rules may not be the best way of resolving persistent problems with structure. If you approach the subject differently maybe you can make the breakthrough which eluded you this month.

Good Luck.
SB

THE ENGLISH TENSE SYSTEM

· What are the main differences between the English tense system and your own language?
· What tenses do you have difficulty with?

In the English system there are 2 elements of meaning:

TIME

But be careful !
Your plane leaves at 10.00 tomorrow. (present tense referring to the future)
I wish I was taller. (past tense referring to the present)
I could come tomorrow if you like. (past tense referring to the future)


ASPECT
· SIMPLE - complete, finished, formal, permanent, emphasises amount
· CONTINUOUS – duration, in progress, temporary, surprise, irritation, informal
· PERFECT – completed before another time, action producing a result relevant to a later situation. Shows the relationship between different times.

Each of these aspects adds another layer of meaning to the verb.

Choosing the right tenses depends on many factors not a set of grammatical rules!!!

Consider
1. THE NATURE OF THE ACTION OR EVENT

I’ve been asking him to mend the TV for the last 6 weeks.

What extra information does the present perfect continuous tell you?
How would you translate it in your own language so that it contained all the same information?

2. HOW THE SPEAKER SEES THE EVENT

What is the different point of view expressed in the sentences below?

He always buys her flowers.
He’s always buying her flowers.

3. THE NATURE OF THE VERB

The house belonged to my father, now it belongs to me.

I’ve been waiting for you for ages and it’s raining!

Why have we used simple and continuous forms with these verbs?




EXERCISE 1 – SIMPLE & CONTINUOUS
What is the difference in meaning between the pairs or groups of sentences below?

Everyone’s very nice to me
Everyone’s being very nice to me

I’ll see Luis about it later.
I’ll be seeing Luis about it later.
The plane will be landing at Heathrow in 20 minutes.

What do you do?
What are you doing?

He fired the gun.
He was firing the gun when I saw him

I’ve checked my emails and there’s no reply.
I’ve been checking my emails, that’s why I’m late.

The train leaves in 5 minutes.
The train is leaving in 5 minutes!

EXERCISE 2 – PERFECT
What is the difference in meaning between the pairs or groups of sentences below?

They’ve been married for 30 years.
They were married for 30 years.

I come from Scotland.
I’ve come from Scotland.

When I’ve talked to him, I’ll tell you.
When I talk to him, I’ll tell him.

The arrangements will be finalized on Friday.
The arrangements will have been finalized by Friday.

Did you ever meet my grandfather?
Have you ever met my grandfather?

I wish I knew the way.
I wish I had known the way.

No comments: