Tuesday 13 October 2015

British Council at ANIA Lesson 19

Group 5 C2
12:30 pm

Class
Speaking - fluency skills - Using fillers for giving yourself time to answer
CPE Speaking Practice - Part Two Collaborative Task

Notes

Criteria
Look at the assessment criteria for Cambridge speaking exams – What do each of these terms mean?
Grammatical Resource
Lexical Resource
Discourse Management
Pronunciation
Interactive Communication 
http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/cpe-examiner-comments.pdf

Functional Language
Hedging:
"I'm not entirely sure but"
"Perhaps"
"That's not my field of expertise but"
"As far as I know"
"Well, I'm not an expert but I would think that..."
Stalling/Fillers:
"I haven't really given it much thought"
"That's a very good question."
"Let me just think about that for a minute..."
"I'm glad you asked me that because that's an area I am really interested in..."
Conditionals:
2nd (present hypotheticals) If it were me, I would ...
3rd (past hypotheticals) If it had been me, I would have ....
Modals:
Assumption (will/won't, should/shouldn't)
Deduction (must, can't/couldn't)
Possibility (may/may not, might/might not, could)
Relative Clauses:
(Especially when you can't think of the right word in English)
The person who
The place where
The thing which
The time when

Interactive Communication
Expanding Your Answer:
State point - "In my view..." "The way I see it..." "As far as I'm concerned..." "From my point of view..."
Explain it  - "What I mean is..."
Give an example - "Take _____ for example..."

Agreeing & Disagreeing:
I couldn't agree more
I agree with you up to a point
I see where you're coming from but
I wouldn't go as far as that
You may be right but,
I'm afraid I don't see it that way

Interrupting Politely:
If I could just add/say/jump in

Sorry to interrupt but …


Corrections
Pronunciation - vowel sounds
Bought 

bɔːt

bəʊθ

Vocabulary
Groceries
Fresh produce - fruit and vegetables
Renounce/give up

There was a time when these objects there aren't. X
There was a time when there weren't (any of) these objects.
There was a time when we didn't have these objects.
There was a time when these objects didn't exist. 

Homework
(1) Reading - Steven Pinker: Many of the alleged rules of writing are actually superstitions."
http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/oct/06/steven-pinker-alleged-rules-of-writing-superstitions
(2) Listening - Follow the link to find some short videos on functional language for speaking exams. The videos are prepared with IELTS in mind, but much of what they say is equally valid for CPE. 
(3) Watch the video below and assess the candidates' performances in part two of the exam. When you have done that compare your ideas with the comments made by the examiners which you can find on this link: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/images/cpe-examiner-comments.pdf



Group 7 C1
2:00 pm

Class 
International Cooperation & Diplomacy
Abbreviations and acronyms p. 28 - 29 questions1a, 1b, 8a, 8b, 8c.
Reading & vocabulary p. 30 Ambassadors

Homework
Reading p. 28 - 29 Cern: A shining example of international cooperation
Questions 2a, 2b and 3



No comments: