Wednesday 18 November 2015

Legal English at Bennett Languages, Civitavecchia. Lesson 5

Class
Amending & modifying a law  - listening, useful phrases and free speaking practice

Balancing an argument
Having said that
I see what you're saying, but...
Although, whilst
That may be so, but...
That's all fair enough
Admittedly
Certainly

Checking Understanding
Do you know/see what I mean?
Do you see/get my point?

Agreeing/disagreeing
I couldn't agree more
I agree with you up to a point
I'm sorry/I'm afraid I don't see it that way

Legal Systems
The characteristics of Civil and Common Law systems
Verb + preposition, adjective + preposition collocations
Pronunciation
punish  /^/
precedent /s/
crime /ai/
criminal /I/
based /t/
decreased /t/

New Vocabulary
surcharge
provisions
section, subsection comma
flick knife switchblade (U.S.)
favourite (noun)
to favour (verb)

Homework
Think of 3 advantages and 3 disadvantages for both Civil Law and Common Law systems.


No comments: