Thursday 1 December 2016

D'Amico Shipping B1 Lesson 2

Class
Speaking 
Business and People interview task.

New Vocabulary
  • soundtrack
  • punctual
  • to settle down
  • to run out of (petrol/money/time)
GET
What does get mean in the following sentences?
  1. I get bored easily.
  2. We got married in 2009.
  3. I need to get my hair cut.
  4. We got the house painted last summer.
  5. The train gets in at 9.
  6. Give me a call when you get home.
  7. Hold on, I'll just get a pen to write this down.
  8. I get what you are saying.
  9. I really didn't get that film, I couldn't follow what was going on. 
  10. I've got friends coming round for dinner on Friday.
n.b. get something done = have something done

Corrections
  1. Tenses Check that you are using the present perfect simple and continuous tenses when talking about experience that is relevant now.
  2. False Friends Actual/Current
  3. Verb Patterns to regret doing something in the past (compare this with to regret to inform which means I regret to inform you now)
Homework
  1. Reflection and Writing Reflect on today's speaking task. Where were the gaps (in vocabulary, structure) which prevented you from saying what you wanted? Were you confident with your question forms? Were you using present perfect forms to talk about experience? Come to the next lesson (Wednesday 14th December) with a list of language problems you wish to improve. 
  2. Listening  I have added more songs to the Spotify Playlist, Phrasal Verbs, which you can access here: https://open.spotify.com/user/11142496185/playlist/5IN815vqsJHESck8r070SH 
I have now made this a collaborative playlist, so if you are Spotify user, you can add songs that contain phrasal verbs to help you practice. You can also go to http://genius.com to find the lyrics to the songs and join in the discussions on their meaning.
New additions to the playlist include:

  • Hung Up - Madonna (which plays with the two meanings - to hang up the phone, to be hung up on someone
  • Somebody I Used To Know - Gotye (Which includes cut off, make out, read into, to be hung up on someone, to screw over - a slightly vulgar slang term meaning to deliberately disadvantage someone)
  • Help With My Friends - The Beatles (to get by)
  • Don't Let Me Down - The Beatles
  • Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper (to fall behind)
  • Runnin' Out Of Fools - Neko Case

Remember there is no lesson next week (8th December) but we will make this up with two lessons the following week on Wednesday 14th and Thursday 15th December.



No comments: