Wednesday 16 July 2014

A Farewell To LUISS

Today will be my last day teaching at the LUISS. The university has decided to award the contract for language courses to another school which means that I, along with my British Council colleagues, will not be returning in September. As a freelance teacher, I have become accustomed to a lack of security in my profession and as a private university, the LUISS is perfectly entitled to seek other contractors. However, I feel I need to counter the spin being put out by the university and point out that this is not a decision based on didactic reasoning but purely a desire to cut costs and maximise profits. I have no opinion of the institution which the university has awarded the contract to but I do know that they offer lessons for  as cheap as €6.40 an hour and have clearly undercut all other tenders in order to get this contract.Similarly I have no opinion of their teachers, primarily, because they are still desperately advertising for staff in order to fulfil the contract, but I would surprised if they have the range of expertise and experience that the British Council has provided at the LUISS since 2007. What I do know is that the teacher replacing me will be working longer hours for less pay. The race to the bottom in education continues.

Eventually there will be no teachers on the language courses at the LUISS as it is the university's intention to move on to on line courses as soon as possible. My students know that I am a champion of new technology in the classroom, however language is primarily about communication and talking to another human being. They would also agree that it has been the in class speaking practice with me and each other from which my students have benefitted the most.

On a positive note, I would like to wish all my LUISS students past and present, the very best. Seeing you graduate, pass international language exams and using your language skills to get internships, places on post graduate courses overseas or jobs in international firms has given me the kind of job satisfaction that few careers can offer.

Take care
Sean

1 comment:

Life is dream,or straggle. said...

I like this very much!!!
It is really a nice step!!!
It is a very helpful and informative site!!!!
Thank you Dear Admin for this kind of help!!!!!! It is really a nice site!!!!!
We are also trying to help people by providing all the solution of their course. Now student can get their course solution from there... It would make their study easier..
get your homework help from here!!!!!