Sunday 23 November 2014

Post CPE Group Lesson 7

Lesson 7

Corrections
  • The choices I have done made (Collocation)
  • It remembers reminds you of a certain time (Commonly confused verbs)
  • I suggested him going there going there/that he go/goes/went there (Verb structure)
  • It is composed by of two things (Verb + preposition collocation)
  • I didn't know anything about the place so I phoned to have news to get some information (Vocabulary choice)
  • an accommodation, funding(Countable & uncountable nouns)
Homework

Following on from our discussion over lunch, I thought you might be interested in watching this documentary from last year, which raises many of the issues that we were talking about concerning inequality. The documentary lasts 46 minutes but you could break it up into sections and watch a little bit each day. In the link below you will find a note taking outline to help you focus on the main points. From a listening point of view, it will help you practise with different accents including standard New Zealand, Australian & British as well as varieties of Asian English from Bangladeshi and Chinese L1 speakers of English. 


Key Terms
Can't make ends meet - can't afford to pay your bills

WFF - Working For Families - benefit for poor families
A state house - housing owned by the government, which poor people can rent at a reasonable rate. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi all, Sean,
may I ask you to expand a bit the correction of the phrase "I suggest him going...".

I have been told that suggest "requires" a gerund, but problems seem to arise when the subject comes in:
- "I suggest going to the cinema" is fine (I guess)
- "I suggest he/him (?) going to the cinema"? (thoroughly wrong?)
- "I suggest he go/goes (?) to the cinema"? (differences?)
- "I suggest that he goes to the cinema"? (sounds too long, still correct)

are there subtle, different meanings encapsulated in these sentences or are they just...incorrect?

Thanks!
--
Marco

S.B. said...

Hi Marco,
Yes, suggest is a tricky one. If in doubt stick to the following structures:
(1) Suggest doing something
(2) Suggest (that) somebody does something
(3) Suggest (that) somebody do something (subjunctive - rarer but still used - often people will add in should or ought to before the infinitive to make it sound more natural)
(4) Suggest something to someone.

You will also hear suggest + possessive adjective + gerund
e.g. Bruce suggested our having a meeting

As you have rightly pointed out "I suggest he/him going to the cinema" are wrong, the problem i think comes when" that" is left out leading to students mistaking the "You" form as an object when it is really the subject of the following clause.

Hope that helps.
Sean