Tuesday 21 November 2017

Lombardi Segni & Associati - Legal English - Lesson 6

12:00 pm Level B1
Class
  • Listening Skills: prediction, note taking
  • Telephone Language 
  • Expressions with get
  • Present Continuous for future arrangements (The meeting is taking place on 23rd October), actions in the (general) present (I'm calling about the meeting, I'm putting togetherthe agenda for the meeting), hedging (I'm proposing a 10 o'clock start)
  • Reflection on lesson aims
Vocabulary
I've got it  = I understand 
let me just get my diary
I'm getting back to her with some prices

fly into (an airport) 
check out (information)
go for = choose
put together = organise

Is that (name)?
Yes, speaking
How can I help you?
I'm calling about (noun/-ing)
By the way
Could I speak to (name)?
I'm afraid she's not in the office right now
Can I take a message?
Sorry can you spell your last name please?
One other thing
While I've got you on the phone there's one other thing
Could you let him know which/what/when/where/who/how
I hope you can manage to reschedule your other commitments

Corrections
quite nothing almost nothing
used to do (past habit), used to doing (current habit which was difficult at first)
I have a difficult difficulty with 
an information, informations information is an uncountable noun and therefore always singular.
pass the caller transfer the call
I felt really stress stressed
which (for things), who (for people)

Homework
Read the audio script again and decide which language feature (e.g. functional language for telephoning, phrasal verbs, expressions with get, uses of the present continuous) you would like to focus on for your self study.

1:30pm Level C1/C2
Class

Listening Skills: Using podcasts to work on lexical (collocation) and grammatical (3rd conditional) features

Source: Law in Action 21/03/2017
Deferred Prosecution Agreement 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jb9nl
Item starts at 11:40 and runs to 19:00

Vocabulary
To turn (someone/yourself) in
To get off lightly
To do a deal
In the pipeline = on the way, expected, coming, close 
harm = injury

Homework
Listen to the podcast again noticing how the vocabulary and grammar is used in context. What do you think about DPAs? We will discuss this issue in class again next week. 

Corrections
condemned - convicted

Going Further
How To Get Away With Murder



No comments: