Thursday 2 March 2017

D' Amico Shipping B1 Lesson 12

Class
Listening skills
Presentation skills
Signposting language

New Language Leader p. 53

Vocabulary
Slip = when you make a small mistake due to forgetfulness or carelessness
e.g. A slip of the tongue, it slipped my mind.

Signposting Language
I'm going to talk about/discuss...
The purpose of our talk/presentation is to...
I'd like to start by...
Moving on now to...
This brings me to my next point...
To sum up...
That brings me to the end of my presentation
If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them now/at the end of the presentation.

Corrections
False friend: argument - topic

Homework
Learn today's signposting language phonetically, paying attention to what words are stressed and how the sounds change when words run together.

Going Further

  • Watch the late Hans Rosling on Ted.com to see how statistics can be presented in a memorable and entertaining way. He also appears in this interesting video from the BBC (below).


  • Ted.com is a great listening resource (complete with audio scripts and subtitles) as well as offering a great collection of interesting talks and presentations. Go to: http://www.ted.com

No comments: